Skip to main content

With all due respect...

We Indians care a lot about social standing. Which means that we like to be shown respect. Which also means that we show respect to everyone.

Why am I mentioning this? Because, erm, I find it funny.

Sir, I don't understand this.

Dude, the ^#%&# just cannot explain

If you are new to India, try going into any government office. Even the clerk who accepts the bill payment has to be called Sir, otherwise, he shall stall you as long as he can. That's all, just one word that is required. In fact, it is a word that is conspicuous only by its absence. Try to get a driving license, but forget to address the inspector as Sir.

So it's no surprise to find such an email one day, on a mailing list meant to disseminate official notices:

Sir, wth al du rspect, i hv lst my blk jcky undrwear can you please forward this mail to the institute i will be greatfull to you if ne1 finds, pls rtrn. to rm***/hstl**. *regards

And when someone (another post on such people to follow) makes fun of such a mail, the response is:

sum seniors here r really need a gud @#%$ *&$&*....&^#* u....mr !@#$%%^^*^&^

But anecdotes from my college aside, I need to mention that I find such sycophancy extremely disturbing. If all we care about is small favours obtained by rubbing our noses over someone's shoes, then we are in serious trouble. Because, in the process, we forget some important goals.

If all we are concerned about is which leader should a particular road be named after, then we are really missing something important. If a presentation on how to solve the water shortage problem can be stalled just because it was in English (which incidentally could be understood by everyone present) instead of the vernacular language, then we shall forever have issues which remain unsolved.

Singapore, as a country was just in the same state as India around 40 years back. In those 40 years, it has made a transition from being a third world country to a first world country. Sceptics may say that it is a small country, easy to administer, etc. But the fact remains that they still have a Clark Quay, a Raffles Place or a Fullerton Road and a strong economy. Perhaps they are too busy to rename places in the city.

Our culture has always taught us to be respectful. How sycophancy has crept into the definition of respect is something that I don't understand. But I do know that we have to move on. And leave sycophancy behind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Harry Potter and why I dislike the series

There could not be a better time for this post. There could not have been a worse time for this post. Now that the penultimate movie of the series is out, and my facebook wall filled with people who loved the movie. But this is something I really wanted to say, and I shall say it anyway. Harry Potter is pathetic literature. Now, you must be wondering why I say that. There are many reasons. Firstly, the storyline itself is flawed. When a writer sits down to write anything, he/she must set up some essential rules about what is happening. These rules must remain constant irrespective of how many times he/she changes his/her mind. This is so that the readers are allowed to have some sensibility in what they are reading. In the fourth book, Rowling goes ahead and kills Cedric. Then, at the end of the book, the horseless carriages are there again. Nothing special. We all knew that they are horseless. But then comes the fifth book, and BAM, the horses are actually winged beasts that only thos...

Elements of a Story: The Whispers

I'm compelled to begin each post with a meta. That way, my blog posts seem less like essays or dissertations, and more like diary entries, or web logs. So here goes... I started this blog a little over a year ago. The main purpose of this blog was to experiment with styles of writing, and find an effective outlet for all the subjects I wish to rant about; saving my classmates the agony of having to listen to them. As I wrote this blog, I've experimented with so many styles, and have received comments claiming that my work is a shameless copy greatly inspired by so-and-so author/work. Fact is that I simply chanced upon that style. I read, so obviously, my work shall reflect the styles of those I admire, but I've worked out so many styles without even knowing that they exist, only to be informed of them later. Recently, I've been struck with the seeming absence of whispers as an element of a story. The more I've thought of the subject, the more I've been convince...

The Inheritance Cycle

So, the much awaited inheritance cycle is here. I thought I liked the series, but the last instalment has brushed aside that misconception. Read this review if you were a fan of Inheritance, but are disappointed by the last book, titled "Inheritance." If not, you may read at your own risk. So, to give an overview of the storyline. Eragon is a farm boy who happens to find a dragon egg. The dragon hatches, making him the first of the next generation of the dragon riders, the first destroyed by Galbatorix, a rider who went mad and seized the throne. Since dragon riders are immortal, Galbatorix, the tyrant, has to be killed. The same story of black and white, where the underdog is pitted against the mighty tyrant. Oh, and romance is thrown in for good measure, as Eragon is, for the entire cycle smitten by the elf Arya. So, even before the book was released, I had guessed some aspects of the storyline. Eragon would kill Galbatorix, Arya would get a dragon and become dragon rider, ...