Skip to main content

Damn You, Jobs!

Steve Jobs is a genius. He manages to make the most crappy products instant best-sellers.

But he does not stop there. He manages to make his customers feel stupid when his product does not work and blames their lack of understanding. And people feel stupid.

Take the example of the iPhone. This crappy phone has all the features that may be found in any Android. However, you cannot change the battery of the phone yourself, the phone takes up to 15 minutes to boot up (a friend of mine has an iPhone, because of the boot time, he cannot afford the phone to switch off), and most annoying of all, you cannot even fit your own SIM card in that phone. It has to be hacked to microSIM proportions before it can be used. That simply means that one cannot use the same SIM card in any other phone. Shipping the phone for repair incurs a courier charge comparable to the cost of a new phone. And yeah, many people are locked on to their network service providers due to the iPhone.

The iPad. Every sane person wondered why anyone would buy the iPad, a tablet so useless that it did not even support multi-tasking. I mean, the iPhone has multi-tasking, then why not the iPad. Unfortunately, there are very few sane people in the world. The iPad too was a hit.

The MacBook Air. The world's thinnest notebook. Or is it? It does not have an optical drive, does not have more than 1 USB port, and one cannot upgrade memory, hard-disk, or the battery. Still, one has to admit that it is one of the most sought after gadgets today

So how does he do it?

I believe that Jobs has a deep understanding of human psychology. His words are carefully chosen. What he wants is that everyone watching him demo a device must feel that they cannot do without it. And he does an admirable work. He constantly uses words like awesome, amazing, incredible, beautiful, nice, easy and unbelievable. What he tries to do is to act as if he is not an Apple employee, but a third person showing off a latest acquisition, generating loads of envious looks from people across the world, and then, almost everyone wants one of the things he is holding. He follows the well known path promoting the most harmful form of consumerism, one that tells people that they cannot be happy unless they buy.

He sure does an amazing, incredible and unbelievable job, but I am thankful that it does not work on me!

Nevertheless, I am indeed sorry to hear about his recent hospitalization. I hope that he shall make a quick recovery.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Harry Potter and why I dislike the series

There could not be a better time for this post. There could not have been a worse time for this post. Now that the penultimate movie of the series is out, and my facebook wall filled with people who loved the movie. But this is something I really wanted to say, and I shall say it anyway. Harry Potter is pathetic literature. Now, you must be wondering why I say that. There are many reasons. Firstly, the storyline itself is flawed. When a writer sits down to write anything, he/she must set up some essential rules about what is happening. These rules must remain constant irrespective of how many times he/she changes his/her mind. This is so that the readers are allowed to have some sensibility in what they are reading. In the fourth book, Rowling goes ahead and kills Cedric. Then, at the end of the book, the horseless carriages are there again. Nothing special. We all knew that they are horseless. But then comes the fifth book, and BAM, the horses are actually winged beasts that only thos...

Elements of a Story: The Whispers

I'm compelled to begin each post with a meta. That way, my blog posts seem less like essays or dissertations, and more like diary entries, or web logs. So here goes... I started this blog a little over a year ago. The main purpose of this blog was to experiment with styles of writing, and find an effective outlet for all the subjects I wish to rant about; saving my classmates the agony of having to listen to them. As I wrote this blog, I've experimented with so many styles, and have received comments claiming that my work is a shameless copy greatly inspired by so-and-so author/work. Fact is that I simply chanced upon that style. I read, so obviously, my work shall reflect the styles of those I admire, but I've worked out so many styles without even knowing that they exist, only to be informed of them later. Recently, I've been struck with the seeming absence of whispers as an element of a story. The more I've thought of the subject, the more I've been convince...

The Inheritance Cycle

So, the much awaited inheritance cycle is here. I thought I liked the series, but the last instalment has brushed aside that misconception. Read this review if you were a fan of Inheritance, but are disappointed by the last book, titled "Inheritance." If not, you may read at your own risk. So, to give an overview of the storyline. Eragon is a farm boy who happens to find a dragon egg. The dragon hatches, making him the first of the next generation of the dragon riders, the first destroyed by Galbatorix, a rider who went mad and seized the throne. Since dragon riders are immortal, Galbatorix, the tyrant, has to be killed. The same story of black and white, where the underdog is pitted against the mighty tyrant. Oh, and romance is thrown in for good measure, as Eragon is, for the entire cycle smitten by the elf Arya. So, even before the book was released, I had guessed some aspects of the storyline. Eragon would kill Galbatorix, Arya would get a dragon and become dragon rider, ...