Skip to main content

Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot

Some months ago, I had written a post on why Mark Shuttleworth never fails to disappoint. Today, I installed Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot on my computer, and it managed to last for just 5 minutes. This post should give a good overview of the five minute experience that is Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot.

I recently bought a new computer. I need Linux on it, so I decided to install Ubuntu. However, I realized that Natty Narwhal was just too old, and that I had to wait for just a week to get my hands on the brand new Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot. The promos promised a lot. The very name, Oneiric, which is associated with dreams seemed extremely enticing. Moreover, it was not really all that worth installing Natty, then updating it within a week. For some reason, I have never had a good experience with Ubuntu upgrades, and hence I prefer clean installations.

So, today, I finally downloaded Wubi and an AMD64 iso of Ubuntu 11.10. I ran Wubi, installed the system, and rebooted into Ubuntu. I was impressed with the entire UI design. The colours and textures are chosen with a lot of care, and give a very good feel. However, that feeling soon vanished.

I first ran into difficulties with the login screen itself. As I have mentioned earlier in my posts, I use the Dvorak layout for typing because I find it convenient when I type long text articles of code. Earlier, Ubuntu allowed me to change the keyboard layout to Dvorak right at the login screen itself. It meant that I could easily touch type my password. Now, I'm forced to type my password in QWERTY, which is a real pain in the neck. Nevertheless, I bit the bullet and entered my password. I then faced the Unity UI.

The Unity UI has again been designed rather well, blatantly copying greatly inspired by the Macintosh and the Windows 7 UIs. Now, if I wish to access an application, I need to click on a menu launcher (similar to the start menu on Windows) and then type in the name of the program that I wish to access. Gone is any way to actually browse for programs; you can best filter programmes by category. (At this point, I forgot to mention that I had already configured the IP address for my network.) The institute where I study has uses a squid proxy to connect to the internet, so I typed in proxy into the search to enter the settings. To my surprise, the search yielded no results. Then I entered network into search. I found an applet named network, but I assumed that it would show devices connected on the network, not what I wanted. The other results were related to IP settings, again not what I wanted. I clicked on the network applet. To my surprise, I found proxy settings buried there. I had an option to enter proxy settings, but then, there was no option to Use the same proxy for all protocols! So, I entered proxy addresses for all protocols manually. Then I realized that there were no options for proxy authentication, nor for ignored hosts. Now, local addresses are always supposed to bypass the proxy, mainly because they do not have any DNS lookup on the internet, i.e. those sites are local only to my institute network. Blow! This means that I cannot access the intranet sites!

Nevertheless, having entered the proxy, I noticed another defect. There is no easy way to switch the proxy settings, unlike earlier versions of Ubuntu. I travel home regularly, and need a one click method to switch the proxy settings. Windows offers me that facility: simply uncheck the use a proxy server box; not as cool as the earlier versions of Ubuntu, but it serves my needs. Here, I see no such option.

I fired up Firefox, but it could not use the system proxy settings, so I could not surf the internet. I gave up, rebooted into Windows and uninstalled my Ubuntu installation.

Final verdict? Don't use Ubuntu 11.10, aka Oneiric Ocelot. It's not worth it.

Oneiric means relating to dreams. Maybe the name holds true. Only in the dreams of its designers could they have envisioned this version being anywhere close to accepted.

Please feel free to share your views in the comments below.

Comments

  1. I'm in absolutely the same soup! To add to my woes, I have a database on my Ubuntu laptop that would be a pain in the ... to re-install if I were to go back to Natty (or Linux Mint, which I ought to have stuck with in the first place)!

    Now what can I do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upgrading is always an issue. As a rule of thumb, I like to have three partitions for any GNU/Linux installation. One for the /, for which I give a tiny amount of space, say 30GB, then a /home, for which I give around 200GB of space, and a /swap, which gets around twice the size of my RAM.

    Whenever I have to change any distro, or upgrade, all my work stays in /home, and I completely format the /. Of course, I have to reinstall software, but it's not as bad as having to back up data, then restore everything, is it?

    Of course, whenever I wish to try an OS, like Ubuntu, I'd use Wubi, or better, VirtualBox. That does not mess up things on my computer, and is safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ERROR_SUCCESS

ERROR_SUCCESS. This macro would be familiar to all those who have done some programming in WIN32. It is the output of the GetLastError() function to check the thread's last error state when no error has occurred. Weird, isn't it? I mean, if it is a success, then why is it marked as an error in the macro? This is one example of a badly made API. APIs are considered bad when programming in them becomes non-intuitive. Software is said to be bad (or said to suck) when it seems counter-intuitive to the user. There is one very simple example of this. Start notepad. Type in any text. Click on close. The message that you see is: This makes no sense to me as a user. Of course, the programmer follows the approach that he creates a temporary file called Untitled , and in that file he allows the user to make all his changes. But how am I, as a user to understand that? A similar disconnect occurs even between two different programmers. That is why it takes a whole lot of effort to make

On Harry Potter and why I dislike the series

There could not be a better time for this post. There could not have been a worse time for this post. Now that the penultimate movie of the series is out, and my facebook wall filled with people who loved the movie. But this is something I really wanted to say, and I shall say it anyway. Harry Potter is pathetic literature. Now, you must be wondering why I say that. There are many reasons. Firstly, the storyline itself is flawed. When a writer sits down to write anything, he/she must set up some essential rules about what is happening. These rules must remain constant irrespective of how many times he/she changes his/her mind. This is so that the readers are allowed to have some sensibility in what they are reading. In the fourth book, Rowling goes ahead and kills Cedric. Then, at the end of the book, the horseless carriages are there again. Nothing special. We all knew that they are horseless. But then comes the fifth book, and BAM, the horses are actually winged beasts that only thos

An experiment

Experiment: the testing of an idea. This post follows from my post on stats and posting . I do observe a number of pageviews from countries other than my own, and often wonder, how many people are really that free to read up a seemingly random blog? How many actually end up reading more than the first few lines? I have decided to create a blog which I shall not publicise in any way. I shall put up seemingly random posts there, but not post the URL on Buzz, Facebook or Twitter, in other words, not thrust the blog upon my friends. What do I hope to see from this experiment. I suppose that it would give me some idea about the number of people who happen to visit my blog from various sources, those who do not have the blog thrust upon them. As to the question about how many people end up reading more than the first few lines, checking that would be much difficult. Can someone suggest a good method? Why do I wish to do this experiment? Because I am hopelessly jobless. Will I share my