Skip to main content

On Coffee and Other Stuff

One of the prerequisites of grad school is that you need to drink a lot of coffee.

Not because you like it, but because you have to.

Coffee is just wonderful. It's about the only addictive substance that you're allowed to consume legally; heck, you can even drive with a BCC (blood caffeine count) of 101. In fact, the DMV advises you to drink coffee to prevent sleeping at the wheel. Surprising, considering that caffeine is more addictive than marijuana[cite].

Caffeine has been known to inhibit repair of cellular DNA, and cause a lot of harm to general health of the user. In large doses (more than 250 mg), it can severely interfere with the central nervous system, just like any other drug. Why then do grad students live on coffee?

Well, mainly, it's to stay awake. It's not unusual to have 3 homework deadlines on the same day, and this calls for all nighters just to get the damn homework finished. Also, some folks like dear KK have an "all-nighter schedule" just before conference deadlines. Oh, come on, did you think that all-nighters are spontaneous? No, they are damn well planned, sometimes, with months of preparation going on before the big night.

But I ramble. Or do I really? I'm not sure; considering that it's been a week since I've had caffeine in my system. Can you believe it, I've now started using Nescafé instead of heading over to Starbucks. Well, we only have such a limited stipend...

It's difficult to actually walk past Starbucks every day, and decide to not head inside and order a double shot espresso, or a mocha, or a Java chip. Sometimes, my head spins round so much that I feel like running away, and grabbing the bitter sweet nectar that will allow me to concentrate on whatever I plan to do. One look at my fast depleting bank account jerks me back to reality.

So, all in all, I'm trying to stay away from coffee as much as I can. Coffee houses are expensive, and exist to leech you by getting you addicted to their products. Ever wondered how do they manage to have so many coffee houses next to each other, at prime locations?

Of course, there are people that are NRT (not really trying) when they go to a coffee house, order a large no-fat no foam double caramel decaf latte; open their Macbooks, scribble some insipid remarks on their blog, and think that they are damn authors...

This post has been written in jest. If it has offended you in any way, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Comments

  1. and do I love your latest post! sarcasm, related to a topic I hold SO dear (a self-proclaimed coffee lover), wid all the interesting elements of my life portrayed with such subtle condemnation... a 'dream-post'! I feel like hugging y- damn, I AM in need of an espresso shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being such a dear follower of this blog KM! Yes coffee is something that I too am particularly fond of; and that's why it's fun to write a post about it. Especially after you hear other people's opinions about coffee. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Harry Potter and why I dislike the series

There could not be a better time for this post. There could not have been a worse time for this post. Now that the penultimate movie of the series is out, and my facebook wall filled with people who loved the movie. But this is something I really wanted to say, and I shall say it anyway. Harry Potter is pathetic literature. Now, you must be wondering why I say that. There are many reasons. Firstly, the storyline itself is flawed. When a writer sits down to write anything, he/she must set up some essential rules about what is happening. These rules must remain constant irrespective of how many times he/she changes his/her mind. This is so that the readers are allowed to have some sensibility in what they are reading. In the fourth book, Rowling goes ahead and kills Cedric. Then, at the end of the book, the horseless carriages are there again. Nothing special. We all knew that they are horseless. But then comes the fifth book, and BAM, the horses are actually winged beasts that only thos...

Elements of a Story: The Whispers

I'm compelled to begin each post with a meta. That way, my blog posts seem less like essays or dissertations, and more like diary entries, or web logs. So here goes... I started this blog a little over a year ago. The main purpose of this blog was to experiment with styles of writing, and find an effective outlet for all the subjects I wish to rant about; saving my classmates the agony of having to listen to them. As I wrote this blog, I've experimented with so many styles, and have received comments claiming that my work is a shameless copy greatly inspired by so-and-so author/work. Fact is that I simply chanced upon that style. I read, so obviously, my work shall reflect the styles of those I admire, but I've worked out so many styles without even knowing that they exist, only to be informed of them later. Recently, I've been struck with the seeming absence of whispers as an element of a story. The more I've thought of the subject, the more I've been convince...

The Inheritance Cycle

So, the much awaited inheritance cycle is here. I thought I liked the series, but the last instalment has brushed aside that misconception. Read this review if you were a fan of Inheritance, but are disappointed by the last book, titled "Inheritance." If not, you may read at your own risk. So, to give an overview of the storyline. Eragon is a farm boy who happens to find a dragon egg. The dragon hatches, making him the first of the next generation of the dragon riders, the first destroyed by Galbatorix, a rider who went mad and seized the throne. Since dragon riders are immortal, Galbatorix, the tyrant, has to be killed. The same story of black and white, where the underdog is pitted against the mighty tyrant. Oh, and romance is thrown in for good measure, as Eragon is, for the entire cycle smitten by the elf Arya. So, even before the book was released, I had guessed some aspects of the storyline. Eragon would kill Galbatorix, Arya would get a dragon and become dragon rider, ...