Skip to main content

+1 to Opensource

This post is about a philosophy, nothing more. I had tweeted the title months ago. I thought that I'd better write a post too.

Apart from Windows, my antivirus and Microsoft Flight Simulator X; you'd be hard-pressed to find any proprietary software on my computer. I like to use FOSS everywhere.

Call me a geek, my reasons for using FOSS are simple. I just cannot pay for all the proprietary software I'd require. Consider that Adobe Photoshop costs close to $ 1000, Lightroom costs $ 100, Photomatix costs the same, MS office costs around $ 500. I cannot pay so much.

But this does not mean that I compromise on quality. As I've recognized in my various experiments with FOSS, free does not mean poor quality. Why is FOSS so successful? Simply because it is open, in that everyone who uses it can modify it to suit their needs.

Let's consider an example. Say you are interested in a word-processing software (assuming you are one of the many idiots who do not use LaTeX. You download a free word processing software like LibreOffice Writer, but are unhappy with the way it handles ligatures. If you are a programmer, you are able to easily modify the software so that it handles ligatures better. As this is a modification that improves the software for many, it is incorporated into the next release of the software, which happens in a few weeks time. That way, FOSS software continuously improves, and the improvements are linked closely with user demands, because more often than not, the users are also the developers of the software.

With the large pool of software out there, FOSS seems a good way out. Suppose one software handles a particular task very well, and another some other task, and a software is needed which will handle both; since the source codes are available, software development becomes easy.

Why, then, is open source software considered inferior to its proprietary counterparts? Well, one reason is the popular (though erroneous) perception that anything free will be of inferior quality. The other reason is the fact that since open-source software is made by users who are developers (in other words, geeks), it often sucks when it comes to UI design. Consider that the developers and many of the users are people who prefer to use the terminal for every task.

As an example, consider the software qtpfsgui, or Luminance HDR. Just try to remember the name. It is a software for creating high dynamic range (HDR) images. Now, the developers very kindly decided to leave all the decision making process onto the users, i.e. they have offered a wide range of algorithms at the user's disposal. Which is a good thing, cause it offers much more control over the image rendition. However, bombarding a user with the names of the algorithms as <author, year> is not going to go down well with photographers, many of them not comfortable with even the basic laws of reflection. Moreover, it asks for exact parameters required by the algorithms, of which a user will have no idea unless (s)he has read the corresponding scientific paper, an onerous task.

The fact that FOSS is superior to proprietary software was driven home when I tried to create a panorama. My camera manufacturer had provided me with a proprietary software, which cost around $ 80, which of course was added to the cost of the camera. Yet, when I tried to create a panorama of the Niagara falls, as seen from Skylon Tower, because the panorama was taken from a higher vantage, looking down, perspective distortion kicked in, and the panorama turned out curved, so that I could never create a 360° panorama. I then used Hugin, and the results astonished me. I had never thought that a free software would provide such quality. The resulting panorama is here.

This was when I tweeted "+1 to opensource"

Why do I use open source? Simply because it's affordable, reliable, and gives me a chance to give back to the community, something which I plan to do very soon. For those of you who know to code, I would strongly recommend using and improving open-source software (after all, that is the freedom we've been struggling for) so that every one will like using FOSS.

Comments

  1. Hey, great post. It encourages a non-technical (at least when it comes to 'computer knowledge'), minimal user like me to go for FOSS. But again, like the manuals that come along with many of the FOSS, you emphasise on the very issues that could make an average user wary of it- developing a software to do what i want it to is not what I would go for if I wanted to do something that is not included in the package. And waiting for it to release to begin using it sounds tedious, and, frankly, very inconvenient. Not that i'm against FOSS but I would love a software that gives me everything together at a time... Which not many FOSS qualify for, I reckon. What wud u recommend a low-profile user with high-profile needs (who does NOT feel comfortable working on a terminal window)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend that FOSS improve so that it is viable for a larger user-base, which includes non-programmers.

    As for the high-profile needs part... FOSS is for high-profile needs. How do you think FOSS develops? Scilab was made by researchers at INIRA and ENPC, and is now available for anyone to use. Similarly, if I ever found existing software lacking, I'd expand some existing FOSS, or create new software from scratch, and make it open-source. My motivation for creating the software is my own need, not making money from the software. That's the difference.

    In my opinion, programmers experienced in UI design ought to contribute to improve the UI for free and open-source software.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ERROR_SUCCESS

ERROR_SUCCESS. This macro would be familiar to all those who have done some programming in WIN32. It is the output of the GetLastError() function to check the thread's last error state when no error has occurred. Weird, isn't it? I mean, if it is a success, then why is it marked as an error in the macro? This is one example of a badly made API. APIs are considered bad when programming in them becomes non-intuitive. Software is said to be bad (or said to suck) when it seems counter-intuitive to the user. There is one very simple example of this. Start notepad. Type in any text. Click on close. The message that you see is: This makes no sense to me as a user. Of course, the programmer follows the approach that he creates a temporary file called Untitled , and in that file he allows the user to make all his changes. But how am I, as a user to understand that? A similar disconnect occurs even between two different programmers. That is why it takes a whole lot of effort to make

On Harry Potter and why I dislike the series

There could not be a better time for this post. There could not have been a worse time for this post. Now that the penultimate movie of the series is out, and my facebook wall filled with people who loved the movie. But this is something I really wanted to say, and I shall say it anyway. Harry Potter is pathetic literature. Now, you must be wondering why I say that. There are many reasons. Firstly, the storyline itself is flawed. When a writer sits down to write anything, he/she must set up some essential rules about what is happening. These rules must remain constant irrespective of how many times he/she changes his/her mind. This is so that the readers are allowed to have some sensibility in what they are reading. In the fourth book, Rowling goes ahead and kills Cedric. Then, at the end of the book, the horseless carriages are there again. Nothing special. We all knew that they are horseless. But then comes the fifth book, and BAM, the horses are actually winged beasts that only thos

Elements of a Story: The Whispers

I'm compelled to begin each post with a meta. That way, my blog posts seem less like essays or dissertations, and more like diary entries, or web logs. So here goes... I started this blog a little over a year ago. The main purpose of this blog was to experiment with styles of writing, and find an effective outlet for all the subjects I wish to rant about; saving my classmates the agony of having to listen to them. As I wrote this blog, I've experimented with so many styles, and have received comments claiming that my work is a shameless copy greatly inspired by so-and-so author/work. Fact is that I simply chanced upon that style. I read, so obviously, my work shall reflect the styles of those I admire, but I've worked out so many styles without even knowing that they exist, only to be informed of them later. Recently, I've been struck with the seeming absence of whispers as an element of a story. The more I've thought of the subject, the more I've been convince