Skip to main content

Zero Emissions... Really?

A post after a long time. I have hardly found enough time to blog, and this has caused the readership of my blog to suffer. So, I shall restrict myself to writing posts in a limited amount of time, which shall definitely cut down on their length. A moment to rejoice?

Environmental concern has become a worldwide phenomenon. Even as undergraduate engineers, we are asked to study two half semester long courses in environmental sciences. While I do not object to environmental concerns, I do object to some of the hype surrounding the issue.

One of the major concerns of the environment, at least in today's age is of global warming. The earth's atmospheric temperature has been showing a rising trend along with its seasonal cycles. Al Gore and all the others trading in carbon credits would have us believe that the sole reason for global warming is the amount of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere, and going green is all about reducing the carbon dioxide emissions. Hang on! What is the gas that plants need for photosynthesis? I think that the gas should be called green...

Al Gore supports his hypothesis by drilling into the Antarctic ice, near the shore of Antarctica. He shows a correlation between the surface temperatures and the atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations. However, as any high school student who has studied statistics shall inform: correlation does not imply causation. While you think it over, let me introduce another fact. The solubility of carbon dioxide in water decreases with an increase in temperature. Add to that the fact that water covers over 70% of the earth's surface and occupies 1,360,000,000km3.

However, the purpose of this post is not just to trash Al Gore's theory, but to show how a myth if perpetrated long enough can lead to significant economic gains. Carbon credits is a multi-billion dollar industry, and the people trading in carbon credits are getting richer by the minute.

At the same time, we have an increasing demand for zero emission vehicles. These vehicles are generally electric, and run on batteries which need to be recharged every 100km or so. Recently, some engineers in France have come up with a vehicle that runs on compressed air. Hey and presto! We have zero emission vehicles.

Give it a thought. Doesn't an electric vehicle contribute to emissions when it recharges its batteries? Doesn't compressing air amount to our beloved CO2 emissions?

In fact, an electric vehicle is inefficient at two sources. One is the power plant where electricity is generated. I am however, assuming that the electricity is generated through a thermal power plant running on coal or gas, as indeed is the case in a large part of the world. Only a few regions have truly sustainable power. The second is at the vehicle itself. An electric motor, though efficient is never 100% efficient. There are always some losses involved. The only time when an electric vehicle does not contribute to emissions is when it is at a standstill, unlike an IC engine powered vehicle, the motors switch off at standstill. What this means is that in certain cases, the electric vehicle may be more polluting than an IC engine powered vehicle. There is the further question of what happens to the batteries of the electric vehicle at the end of their life span, which under such intense operation may be little over a year? Most of the batteries contain highly toxic heavy metals like lead and cadmium, or alkali metals like lithium.

However, so great is the social and political demand for being green according to a canon, that people and governments encourage electric vehicles. Sales in these environment friendly vehicles skyrocket, boosted by a misguided public and tax incentives from a politically correct government.

It's time we stop blind zealous activism, and stop and think for a moment about the correctness of the entire affair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Harry Potter and why I dislike the series

There could not be a better time for this post. There could not have been a worse time for this post. Now that the penultimate movie of the series is out, and my facebook wall filled with people who loved the movie. But this is something I really wanted to say, and I shall say it anyway. Harry Potter is pathetic literature. Now, you must be wondering why I say that. There are many reasons. Firstly, the storyline itself is flawed. When a writer sits down to write anything, he/she must set up some essential rules about what is happening. These rules must remain constant irrespective of how many times he/she changes his/her mind. This is so that the readers are allowed to have some sensibility in what they are reading. In the fourth book, Rowling goes ahead and kills Cedric. Then, at the end of the book, the horseless carriages are there again. Nothing special. We all knew that they are horseless. But then comes the fifth book, and BAM, the horses are actually winged beasts that only thos...

Elements of a Story: The Whispers

I'm compelled to begin each post with a meta. That way, my blog posts seem less like essays or dissertations, and more like diary entries, or web logs. So here goes... I started this blog a little over a year ago. The main purpose of this blog was to experiment with styles of writing, and find an effective outlet for all the subjects I wish to rant about; saving my classmates the agony of having to listen to them. As I wrote this blog, I've experimented with so many styles, and have received comments claiming that my work is a shameless copy greatly inspired by so-and-so author/work. Fact is that I simply chanced upon that style. I read, so obviously, my work shall reflect the styles of those I admire, but I've worked out so many styles without even knowing that they exist, only to be informed of them later. Recently, I've been struck with the seeming absence of whispers as an element of a story. The more I've thought of the subject, the more I've been convince...

The Inheritance Cycle

So, the much awaited inheritance cycle is here. I thought I liked the series, but the last instalment has brushed aside that misconception. Read this review if you were a fan of Inheritance, but are disappointed by the last book, titled "Inheritance." If not, you may read at your own risk. So, to give an overview of the storyline. Eragon is a farm boy who happens to find a dragon egg. The dragon hatches, making him the first of the next generation of the dragon riders, the first destroyed by Galbatorix, a rider who went mad and seized the throne. Since dragon riders are immortal, Galbatorix, the tyrant, has to be killed. The same story of black and white, where the underdog is pitted against the mighty tyrant. Oh, and romance is thrown in for good measure, as Eragon is, for the entire cycle smitten by the elf Arya. So, even before the book was released, I had guessed some aspects of the storyline. Eragon would kill Galbatorix, Arya would get a dragon and become dragon rider, ...