Skip to main content

On the process of critical analysis

If I wasn't Bob Dylan, I'd probably think that Bob Dylan has a lot of answers myself.

A powerful quote from Bob Dylan. It reminds me of Billy Collins.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.
They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means.
Recent analysis in the reading literature class got me thinking about this point. Are we really doing justice to the piece of literature that we are reading by analyzing it? Or are we not doing justice to what the author had planned for us.

In our constant process of finding meaning in everything, we tend to find a little too much meaning in everything. So much that sometimes I feel that most of us are like the portrayal of John Nash in the movie, A beautiful mind. Of course, we do not imagine that the CIA has engaged us to find hidden messages in newspapers, but we do tend to try find meaning in everything. Be it in the behaviour of our friends, or in any picture that we see, or movies, or songs, or books. The list is endless.

But how accurate are the meanings that we claim to derive? I remember that once, my art teacher in school assigned us an assignment involving abstract art. So we simply took some paint, splattered it across the page, and by some luck, if you twisted your head in a particular way, you might see a human like form. The piece was deemed to symbolize unity in diversity, and we were acclaimed as the best group of artists (can there be a group, seriously?) and the splatter was on the art corner of the school for a week.

Now, the above example was not to just dismiss abstract art. I respect art deeply, but I do not like trying to find meaning where none exist. The same exists for literature. Recently, we were analysing Life of Galileo by Bertolt Brecht. This was put as an example of epic theatre, wherein the author tries to distance the characters from the audience. I do not really understand much of this. If Galileo, in the first scene is shown washing himself, how is this a distancing device? What I do know, however, is that the effect of reading the play was fantastic, and we could imagine the dramatization of the play. Is the latter not what the author desired more than the former? That we enjoy his play, be it epic theatre, or realistic theatre, or the theatre of the absurd?

I remember a quote by Don McLean when asked about his song American Pie, You will find many interpretations of my lyrics but none of them by me... sorry to leave you all on your own like this but long ago I realized that songwriters should make their statements and move on, maintaining a dignified silence.

That is the way he intended the song to be. Just a song dedicated to Buddy Holly. It is us who seek meaning from it, seek answers to our problems. I believe this is how we should view most of the stuff in the world, accept things the way they are, and not beat it with a hose to fine out what it means.

So, read this piece for what it is. There is no hidden meaning in between the lines, I assure you.

Comments

  1. i would not claim to understand your post completely, and if i do then i would not have understood your post at all. the statement seems like a paradox, but nonetheless. i figure that you have tried to raise a point and my only comment will be- 'we analyze to ultimately satisfy ourselves, having assumed that everything in this world is made to contribute to our life in some way. and we may choose to let it or not let it. or even let it in a particular way.' well, nothing wrong there at all; in fact it helps develop a certain taste/a pattern of choice. after all it is true that a man cannot choose to entertain his senses by the vast amount of recreational works present around him. he must analyze to decide what should he keep and what should he let go. after all, saying a particular genre of music is 'made for u' or that a song 'gets to u' is analyzing it... btw, gud piece of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my arguments were along these lines: There is a danger in looking for meaning where none may exist;
    and, if it works for you, it's good, period. There is not much point analysing whether or not it is good and the reasons for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I forgot to mention, thanks for the feedback Karnamohit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. then i guess i haven't yet understood the meaning of danger in this context... and you're welcome :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Harry Potter and why I dislike the series

There could not be a better time for this post. There could not have been a worse time for this post. Now that the penultimate movie of the series is out, and my facebook wall filled with people who loved the movie. But this is something I really wanted to say, and I shall say it anyway. Harry Potter is pathetic literature. Now, you must be wondering why I say that. There are many reasons. Firstly, the storyline itself is flawed. When a writer sits down to write anything, he/she must set up some essential rules about what is happening. These rules must remain constant irrespective of how many times he/she changes his/her mind. This is so that the readers are allowed to have some sensibility in what they are reading. In the fourth book, Rowling goes ahead and kills Cedric. Then, at the end of the book, the horseless carriages are there again. Nothing special. We all knew that they are horseless. But then comes the fifth book, and BAM, the horses are actually winged beasts that only thos

ERROR_SUCCESS

ERROR_SUCCESS. This macro would be familiar to all those who have done some programming in WIN32. It is the output of the GetLastError() function to check the thread's last error state when no error has occurred. Weird, isn't it? I mean, if it is a success, then why is it marked as an error in the macro? This is one example of a badly made API. APIs are considered bad when programming in them becomes non-intuitive. Software is said to be bad (or said to suck) when it seems counter-intuitive to the user. There is one very simple example of this. Start notepad. Type in any text. Click on close. The message that you see is: This makes no sense to me as a user. Of course, the programmer follows the approach that he creates a temporary file called Untitled , and in that file he allows the user to make all his changes. But how am I, as a user to understand that? A similar disconnect occurs even between two different programmers. That is why it takes a whole lot of effort to make

Elements of a Story: The Whispers

I'm compelled to begin each post with a meta. That way, my blog posts seem less like essays or dissertations, and more like diary entries, or web logs. So here goes... I started this blog a little over a year ago. The main purpose of this blog was to experiment with styles of writing, and find an effective outlet for all the subjects I wish to rant about; saving my classmates the agony of having to listen to them. As I wrote this blog, I've experimented with so many styles, and have received comments claiming that my work is a shameless copy greatly inspired by so-and-so author/work. Fact is that I simply chanced upon that style. I read, so obviously, my work shall reflect the styles of those I admire, but I've worked out so many styles without even knowing that they exist, only to be informed of them later. Recently, I've been struck with the seeming absence of whispers as an element of a story. The more I've thought of the subject, the more I've been convince