Skip to main content

A failure of intelligence

This post came up from a discussion... No, it's not important to inform you of the origins of this post. What finally matters is the content. Is that not why you read the blog. Who cares about all the emphasis on telling a story about the post with the post itself? I mean, I'm not really into meta-blogging, really.

So, what is this post about. No, it's not about the most common excuse raised by some baldies with grey hair (really, since when did baldies have hair?) when some of our neighbours decide to travel over 500 nautical miles to pay us a social visit (with guitars) and try to act in our films (it may be cheap bollywood, but it is much better than the quality of stuff they get at their home, I believe). No, it's about companies with mottoes of Don't be evil deciding what is or is not useful for me. It's also about a website that gives a crappy blue colour to the entire world.

The internet (whatever it is, I really don't understand all this tech jargon) has such a whole lot of information. Some of it Most of it comes from things called content farms, websites that try to trick you into visiting them by inundating the search engine you use with keywords in their code and in their content. What is a search engine you may ask? I don't really know. I used to think that Google is a search engine, but some people think it is a web browser. Well, web browser then. After all, whenever you open up firefox or chrome, you do see Google as the first page, so, in a way, Google is the web browser.

So, a web browser is something that searches for relevant content for you over something called the internets or the world wide web, or the www dot com. (Why is it not called a search engine eludes me.) The web browser then tries to match whatever you type with the content of millions of pages on the webs (don't reach for the vacuum cleaner or the bug spray, this does not involve six legged arachnids. (Though it really does, I think Google uses spiders to crawl over the webs.) (Right now, I wish that my browser had paren-matching highlighting, like emacs or vim. That would have let me know of the paren-matching error made two sentences ago.) (I shall endeavour to correct it like this.)). This web is much messier than the one made by the arachnids. It has a lot of messy information. The web browser tries to match your keywords with those found on the pages that are stuck on the web, being a part of it. So, someone had the brilliant idea to fool web browsers by writing articles like this:

error michael sam winodws linux mark shuttleworth a***h*** idiot smart black white man woman child...
you get the drift, right? The purpose of such sites is to get maximum traffic onto their pages, wherein you would find nothing but advertisements, thereby fetching money (of course not to you, to the sites in question). So the web browsers like Google started to get smarter. They decided to start filtering out such websites from their search results.

And that is where this post originates from. (I realize that despite my promise, I have again entered into meta-blogging; well, promises are meant to be broken. Try to find out if I ever made that promise.) So, now the greatest web browser of them all, Google has decided to make itself a bit more fool proof. (However, nothing can be really fool proof, foolishness is a quality that has the cardinality of an uncountable infinity.) They have finally brought in an algorithm that searches for links you have clicked on in previous searches, or those which you found interesting and shared with the world (I doubt that anyone actually bothers to limit the privacy settings on their posts). This means that someone decides what information you are going to get from www dot com. (Please don't cry out commie or dictator, I am not doing this. I'm merely the messenger, and this is NOT Sparta.)

At the same time, the crappy blue world has now got a new crappy blue look. This new look too tries to decide what is good for you. (Have the bread crusts, they contain healthy bread crust vitamins, whatever they are. If you don't, I'm going to ground you and not let you out of your room for a week.) Apparently, the developers at crappy blue world have decided that it is important for me to receive the report cards of friends, or who are the top 10 friends of whom, and so on, as if I were a guardian concerned with the performance of my 450 odd wards in the crappy blue world. (Which reminds me, there is something called culling the heard. I think I need to look more into it.) So, as a result, I now have the crappy blue world made crappier with posts that I never wanted, and it has given me a task for the next 100 odd days to tell the ones behind the crappy blue world that I'm NOT INTERESTED! But I think that in the next 99 days, they shall change the look to yet another crappy blue look, and this render my efforts wasted again. (Most of my efforts are wasted. I spend so much time writing this blog, but no one ever bothers to read. That's a waste of my effort.)

My email now decides what email is important for me. My mobile phone decides which contacts are important. Another electronic brain suggests possible jobs for me, all of which require either a few years of experience, or which are as financial analysts, even though I have mentioned that I'm in the wireless industry. I'm an engineer, engineering is different from finance (or is it?). My RSS reader recommends items for me to read. My blogging software, thankfully, does not suggest blogs for me to write. (But I'm sure that someone somewhere shall find out a one-click blogging mechanism. Click a button and the weblog post is written and posted. (This shall greatly improve the quality of my posts, I'm sure.) (Paren-matching problems again.))

But heck who cares. Our thoughts and minds are independent (or are they?), and that's what we've always been fighting for. We should be thankful for that. (sarcmark)

Do feel free (read: if you have reached this far, put in some effort lazybones) to post comments to let me know if you agree with me or not. Do we really have access to free content, unbiased and unprejudiced?



UPDATE: Barely 12 hours after I made this post, I came across this youtube video. Do take some time to watch it.


Comments

  1. I was looking for an opinion. I think I failed to find it amid all the digression.
    Overdose of Rushdie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really an overdose of Rushdie. I think most of my posts suffer from a lot of digression, and I am duly contrite. Have a look at this post.But yeah, I have digressed much more than usual in this one.

    I really tried hard to keep the opinion as muted as I could. Guess that style really does not go well with most people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ERROR_SUCCESS

ERROR_SUCCESS. This macro would be familiar to all those who have done some programming in WIN32. It is the output of the GetLastError() function to check the thread's last error state when no error has occurred. Weird, isn't it? I mean, if it is a success, then why is it marked as an error in the macro? This is one example of a badly made API. APIs are considered bad when programming in them becomes non-intuitive. Software is said to be bad (or said to suck) when it seems counter-intuitive to the user. There is one very simple example of this. Start notepad. Type in any text. Click on close. The message that you see is: This makes no sense to me as a user. Of course, the programmer follows the approach that he creates a temporary file called Untitled , and in that file he allows the user to make all his changes. But how am I, as a user to understand that? A similar disconnect occurs even between two different programmers. That is why it takes a whole lot of effort to make

On Harry Potter and why I dislike the series

There could not be a better time for this post. There could not have been a worse time for this post. Now that the penultimate movie of the series is out, and my facebook wall filled with people who loved the movie. But this is something I really wanted to say, and I shall say it anyway. Harry Potter is pathetic literature. Now, you must be wondering why I say that. There are many reasons. Firstly, the storyline itself is flawed. When a writer sits down to write anything, he/she must set up some essential rules about what is happening. These rules must remain constant irrespective of how many times he/she changes his/her mind. This is so that the readers are allowed to have some sensibility in what they are reading. In the fourth book, Rowling goes ahead and kills Cedric. Then, at the end of the book, the horseless carriages are there again. Nothing special. We all knew that they are horseless. But then comes the fifth book, and BAM, the horses are actually winged beasts that only thos

Elements of a Story: The Whispers

I'm compelled to begin each post with a meta. That way, my blog posts seem less like essays or dissertations, and more like diary entries, or web logs. So here goes... I started this blog a little over a year ago. The main purpose of this blog was to experiment with styles of writing, and find an effective outlet for all the subjects I wish to rant about; saving my classmates the agony of having to listen to them. As I wrote this blog, I've experimented with so many styles, and have received comments claiming that my work is a shameless copy greatly inspired by so-and-so author/work. Fact is that I simply chanced upon that style. I read, so obviously, my work shall reflect the styles of those I admire, but I've worked out so many styles without even knowing that they exist, only to be informed of them later. Recently, I've been struck with the seeming absence of whispers as an element of a story. The more I've thought of the subject, the more I've been convince